Yesterday I took the day off work to go hiking with two of my friends, MarySue and Laura, at Starved Rock. We had a really great time and walked eight miles. We didn’t get killed by a serial killer but we did have to use a port-a-potty.
The night before I made this muffin recipe and it was really good.
Better than Canyon Sex Double-Chocolate Muffins (adapted from Eat Better America)
1 cup Fiber OneÂ® cereal
1 1/3 cups buttermilk (I used low-fat buttermilk)
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil (you can also sub in applesauce for part or all of the oil)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (I used regular, not mini chips)
1-2 mashed ripe bananas (I added one)
1. Heat oven to 375Â°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or crush in food processor).
2. In medium bowl, mix cereal and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in oil, vanilla, egg, brown sugar and mashed banana, (if using).
3. Combine the flours, baking soda and salt. Add the chocolate chips. Stir with fork or whisk. (Mixing the chips in with the flour helps keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin when they are baking).
4. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and stir just til moistened. (There will be lumps and that is fine, you just don’t want dry streaks of flour.)
5. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan.
(The nutritional stats don’t include the added banana)
1 Muffin: Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 360mg; Total Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 17g); Protein 4g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
MyPyramid Servings 1 tsp Fats & Oils, 1 oz-equivalents Grains